It’s been too long since I put some time into this project, so I’m going to outline goals broadly and then narrow into smaller components.
Enumerate SIM software options, noting:
-DK2 compatibility, Retail rift (CV1) compatibility (which has many moderate advantages over DK2), environmental data output capabilities, associated existing environmental data hardware.
Enumerate environmental data hardware options. Most all options are for motion platforms, will these work for my full 3D system?
Options for motion actuation, look into various high torque motor options. Variables include torque, rotation accuracy, rotation speed, control interface and compatibility with environmental data hardware.
Physical design. Design different styles, noting size requirements, mass, portability, aesthetics, structural design and stress tolerance calculations. Construction may need some legal/insurance considerations.
The main challenge installing guy wires onto a tiled roof was how to make anchor points. I went to a local antenna supplier and they told me the usual method is with these long self tapping o-ring bolts. So that’s what I did, it was much easier than I expected.
I used a diamond hole saw from eBay to make 2 holes in the roof tiles, and made use of an existing satellite dish mast for the final mounting point. I used threaded rod to attach a tapped o ring (or whatever you call it) to the satellite mast. Using a wet finger I was able to mold silicon around the anchor bolts in the roof tiles.
From my understanding it’s better to be earthed than not… I tried running conduit through this cement path using only an angle grinder and a chisel. This would have taken waay too long. Ended up buying a jack-hammer from gumtree (cheaper than renting). The second earth wire is from a UBNT Ethernet protector in the roof-space. This goes to a separate earth rod a small distance from the mast earth rod.
Obtain win 7 installation files. This site is a mirror for all the win 7 ISOs (in several languages), includes links to MSDN file hashes (after downloading, I used HashTools to compare hashes). Also there is a tricky possible solution here.
I moved the project to some acrylic in what is possibly the final stage for the project.While I thought the software reset for the Ethernet chip would suffice for connection problems, it appears this isn’t the case. I’ll try reprogramming the chip with an interrupt reboot for the main program loop, currently the device isn’t sending info to ThingSpeak.
Once the code is running smoothly (for at least a week) I’ll add email notifications. In the future I won’t use this Ethernet chip, there is a similarly priced chip I have which is much more capable.