Drying out headlights

I had a whole bunch of moisture in one of my driving headlights due to a worn seal. I was able to easily fix most of this using cat litter crystals (silica gel). I made a tube out of some material, and stapled it into shape (folded over and stapled the bottom and side) and used a funnel to pour the cat litter crystals in. The tube is around an inch in diameter in order to fit through the headlight hole. I put the cover back on the back of the headlight while it dried out.

Looking into HHO

I have heard about HHO a few years ago, and the last couple days I have been looking into this tech again. It appears the game of whack a mole is continuing by the petro dollar powers that be – many HHO site links are down and only visible in web archives. That being said, there seem to be no shortage of enthusiast inventors making their own devices and websites

HHO Technology

Heating with Hydrogen HHO or Hcat. This man does just that.

I have found a full kit for your car made by an auto shop “LaBella’s Auto Repair”, that even includes an OBD II computer to modify the ECU timing automatically. Seems super simple and I am considering buying one.. until…

HHO Installation Frequently Asked Questions

The above video seems very knowledgeable.. perhaps delving into this would require a much deeper dive than a simple plug in automatic OBD ECO controller..
Found an Australian 21 cell device..
This also looks worth watching:

It Runs On Water Stanley Meyer (1995) MUST-SEE VIDEO

Duty Cycle Protector

I have a solar pool pump inline with a normal pool filter pump. If the pool pump turns off while the solar pump is on.. then the solar pump can’t pump properly. This is an issue since the filter pump sometimes will turn off in hot weather (or if hot water is flowing through it). I built a sensor to require the filter pump to run in order to run the solar pump. Also I ran an external switch for the solar pump.

I will note that working with mains voltages is inherently dangerous, and I’d advise against it for anyone not sufficiently trained.

The circuit consists of a current sensing board ($5.50 with delivery) and a Zero-Cross SSR ($12 delivered…). The sensor is just a coil around one of the conductors in a ‘sensor’ mains extension cable. When current is high enough through the sensor, the SSR is in turn energised, closing the circuit through a second ‘trigger’ extension cable . I put a switch in between the sense output and the SSR. That’s basically it. I thought about a pull-down resistor on the input for the SSR, but since it needs 5v plus a small current to trigger.. I think it should be fine left open.

Initially I used a current sense board with no relay output, although this did not live up to specs delivering 5v digital output and caused a bunch of issues… eventually I gave up trying to implement a transistor/relay and bought a sense board with an inbuilt relay. The components in the system run off 5v and are powered by a USB power adaptor 🙂

It Works!

SAP – refocusing

The Lawnmower Man (1992)
Still from The Lawnmower Man (1992)

It’s been too long since I put some time into this project, so I’m going to outline goals broadly and then narrow into smaller components.

Goals:

  1. Enumerate SIM software options, noting:
    -DK2 compatibility, Retail rift (CV1) compatibility (which has many moderate advantages over DK2), environmental data output capabilities, associated existing environmental data hardware.
  2. Enumerate environmental data hardware options. Most all options are for motion platforms, will these work for my full 3D system?
  3. Options for motion actuation, look into various high torque motor options. Variables include torque, rotation accuracy, rotation speed, control interface and compatibility with environmental data hardware.
  4. Physical design. Design different styles, noting size requirements, mass, portability, aesthetics, structural design and stress tolerance calculations. Construction may need some legal/insurance considerations.

Steps 1-3 represent the bulk of the electronic challenges. Step 4 is the physical challenge Continue reading “SAP – refocusing”

Beaumast Part 2

The main challenge installing guy wires onto a tiled roof was how to make anchor points. I went to a local antenna supplier and they told me the usual method is with these long self tapping o-ring bolts. So that’s what I did, it was much easier than I expected.

I used a diamond hole saw from eBay to make 2 holes in the roof tiles, and made use of an existing satellite dish mast for the final mounting point. I used threaded rod to attach a tapped o ring (or whatever you call it) to the satellite mast. Using a wet finger I was able to mold silicon around the anchor bolts in the roof tiles.

Part 1 ->

From my understanding it’s better to be earthed than not… I tried running conduit through this cement path using only an angle grinder and a chisel. This would have taken waay too long. Ended up buying a jack-hammer from gumtree (cheaper than renting). The second earth wire is from a UBNT Ethernet protector in the roof-space. This goes to a separate earth rod a small distance from the mast earth rod.

Project Secure Backup. Part 6

I moved the project to some acrylic in what is possibly the final stage for the project.While I thought the software reset for the Ethernet chip would suffice for connection problems, it appears this isn’t the case. I’ll try reprogramming the chip with an interrupt reboot for the main program loop, currently the device isn’t sending info to ThingSpeak.

Once the code is running smoothly (for at least a week) I’ll add email notifications. In the future I won’t use this Ethernet chip, there is a similarly priced chip I have which is much more capable.

Continue reading “Project Secure Backup. Part 6”