It’s been too long since I put some time into this project, so I’m going to outline goals broadly and then narrow into smaller components.
- Enumerate SIM software options, noting:
-DK2 compatibility, Retail rift (CV1) compatibility (which has many moderate advantages over DK2), environmental data output capabilities, associated existing environmental data hardware.
- Enumerate environmental data hardware options. Most all options are for motion platforms, will these work for my full 3D system?
- Options for motion actuation, look into various high torque motor options. Variables include torque, rotation accuracy, rotation speed, control interface and compatibility with environmental data hardware.
- Physical design. Design different styles, noting size requirements, mass, portability, aesthetics, structural design and stress tolerance calculations. Construction may need some legal/insurance considerations.
Steps 1-3 represent the bulk of the electronic challenges. Step 4 is the physical challenge
- FSX, Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Currently using the steam edition of this with DK2 through my new fancy GPU. Environmental data output capabilities?
- DCS: Digital Combat Simulator. Clearly supports Rift and motion platforms as here. Available from Steam.
- P3D: Prepar3D by Lockheed Martin
This page looks like a wealth of information re whats happening is flight sim at the moment..